Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Review of The Collection of Heng Souk by S.R. Wilsher

 
Synopsis: "When her father dies, Sun Tieng visits his estranged brother, Heng Souk. Yet her frail, elderly uncle, a Vietnamese War hero, is very different from her tough and testing father. When she discovers in his house a notebook written by American POW, Ephraim Luther, detailing his torture by the prison commandant she is startled by what she learns.
Meanwhile, Thomas Allen, still reeling from the death of his daughter and the breakup of his marriage, is told that the man he always called Dad was not his father. His mother gives him a batch of letters she still has from the ‘real’ father, Jefferson Carlisle. Their tragic love story prompts Thomas to find out why his mother’s ‘greatest love’ never returned to her after the Vietnam War.
His search leads him to the notorious prison ‘the Citadel’, and to Sun and her uncle. Despite the hostility of her brutal husband and mother, Sun is drawn to Thomas. Aware that the fate of Thomas’ father is revealed in Ephraim’s notebook, she is torn between helping Thomas in his search and the damaging effect revealing what is in the notebook will mean for them."


My Review: This book packs quite a punch, it takes some time to build steam but once it gets going there is no stopping. At the beginning I was struggling with the connection between the main characters, but once I found that connection the story really started to come together for me. I fell in love with all of the characters and honestly want the best for each of them, flaws and all. It really hit me on all levels, emotionally and mentally. There really isn't much more to say other than to read this book for yourself and find out how it speaks to you.
 
My Rating: While it took me a little while to get into this story, once I did it grabbed me and wouldn't let go until I finished (even a little after to be honest). I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!
 
 
The Collection of Heng Souk was sent to me by the author for an honest review.
 
To find out more about Wilsher's work please visit his Website.
 
You can obtain your own copy of The Collection of Heng Souk in digital format on Amazon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment